It seems like year after year, we hear a new trend that is dubbed to revolutionize the skincare industry. While a lot of them turn out to be legitimate, a good percentage of these trends fizzle out. Just take a look at countless beauty products from Korea and various “instant results” products throughout the years.
In 2015, another big trend that took the industry by storm was called Micro needling. Also called derma rolling or collagen induction therapy, micro needling seems to be presenting itself as a unique and legitimate trend that is gaining traction.
Micro needling applies to any type of treatment that requires you to run a special device that contains a roller with a lot of tiny metal needles over your skin. While that may sound like a torture device at first, there is some science that supports their claim. There are at least 3 kinds of Micro needling devices; Dermarollers, Dermapens, and Dermastamps. The 3 might look different from each other but they are fundamentally similar in terms of how they help your skin.
We think one of the best things we like about micro needling is that it does not base its premise on false science. It’s not another snake oil product that promises everything but has little to no studies to support it. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves for now. Let’s try to list down the benefits of micro needling.
1. Scars – Nobody wants ugly scars on their skin and micro needling seems to be a perfect way to get rid of them. Different studies have shown that micro needling can help remove or at least fade out different kinds of scarring. One type of scar it can’t seem to address are keloid scars. Dermarollers can be an answer to people who have surgical scars, acne scars, or even stretch marks. You have to remember that scars are like the result of an abnormal growth of collagen. Micro needling helps by breaking up the scar tissue and stimulating the production of more collagen and elastin to make the scarred skin healthier.
2. Reduces fine lines and wrinkles – When talking about thinning skin, sun damage, or facial wrinkles, we are talking about skin damage that is caused by the loss of elastin and collagen. Micro needling helps by conditioning the skin to produce more collagen and elastin. As a result, scars, wrinkles, and fine lines are reduced. High concentration of collagen and elastin also helps tighten and thicken your skin. This will reduce skin thinning that is usually the result of aging.
3. Stretch Marks – In theory, stretch marks are almost similar to scars although the difference is that stretch marks are the result of the skin rapidly stretching (like in pregnancy). They are harder to address compared to regular scars but certain studies have shown that micro needling can help remove stretch marks but other forms of treatment are required. Micro needling breaks down the damaged tissues causing the stretch marks and triggers the growth and production of collagen. This helps remove or fade the stretch marks. Note: The deeper the stretchmarks, the more micro needling treatments will be required to get visible results.
4. Halts skin aging – As what I’ve mentioned above, micro needling helps produce collagen and elastin in your skin and one of its effects is it halts skin aging. Also, micro needling can work as an enhancer for any topical anti-aging cream as it makes the skin absorb the product more.
5. Hyperpigmentation – Hyperpigmentation happens when there is an abnormal production of melanin due to a damaged melanocyte. This happens more often with people with darker complexion. Micro needling helps curb hyperpigmentation by making the skin shed its top layer thus forcing it to create newer (and healthier) melanocytes. Unlike other forms of treatment that may be harsh to the skin, micro needling will not result in any loss of skin pigments.
There are still a lot of micro needling benefits that are yet to be proven by studies but these are the ones that have published journals and studies supporting them.
If you want to know more and if you still have reservations about micro needling, don’t hesitate to contact the experts. Specialists in Arsenault Spa will be more than happy to answer all your questions about micro needling and to inform you how it can help you get healthier and better-looking skin.